| || |
| || |
Following closely behind are second seed Abhishikta Pattanaik, fourth seed Aurobinda Khuntia and Pratik Barik all with 5.5 points.
The meet is being co-sponsored by Horlicks.
On the top board, Das adopted the Sicilian defence against Puri�s Sumit Banerjee. In the middle game, he exploited Banerjee�s positional weaknesses and emerged a pawn up winning the game in 50 moves.
On the second board, tenth seed Sambit Dash adopted the Giuco Piano System against Mishra. In the mid-game Swayams was exchange up and won the game in 55 moves.
On the third board, Khuntia won against KP Dalai who opted for the Slav defence.
Y Kranti Kumar and NT Rama Rao playing on the fourth board agreed for a draw. On the fifth board, Pattanaik defeated Sagar Dash, who adopted the Sicilian defence.
| || |
| || |
Services, who qualified for the finals of all eight categories in the elite and challenger group, scooped seven golds and one silver to emerge overall winners.
Tamil Nadu got seven golds, one silver and one bronze, to finish on top in the sub-junior sections.
Bengal girls � Aparna Gupta and Aheli Banerjee got one gold in the pairs event of the sub-junior category to put paid to Tamil Nadu�s aim for a clean sweep.
Tamil Nadu also bagged one gold in the women fours while Kerala, Orissa and Karnataka finished first in other three events of the women category.
Hosts Bengal finished second in seven other events to end up with a medal tally of one gold, seven silvers and six bronze medals.
| || |
| || |
S.T. Bhutia bt Ajay Thirani, Shariq bt Md Salim, Shantanu bt Akram Hussain, S. Ahmed bt D. Verma, Meraj Alam bt Adil, Tarun Gupta bt S. Salim, Shoaib Ahmed bt Firozuddin, Brijesh Damani bt Amir Ali, S.T. Bhutia bt Shariq, Shantanu bt S. Ahmed, Tarun bt Meraj Alam, Brijesh Damani bt Shoaib Ahmed, Brijesh Damani bt Tarun Gupta, Shantanu bt S.T. Bhutia, Brijesh Damani bt Shantanu.
| || |
| || |
Aquatics academy on anvilAquatic sports is going to get a boost in the near future with the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and union sports ministry planning to set up academies in different states of the country.
�We have planned to set up one such academy in each state for promotion of aquatic sports. The ministry is working on it,� SAI director general Sekhar Dutta said Sunday.
However, the project was still in a nascent stage and waiting the clearance of the planning commission, he said. According to the proposal, the union government would bear 51 per cent of the total cost of such academies while the rest would be shared by respective states and private parties.
�Most of the states have shown interest in the project. Particular disciplines to be taken up in these academies will depend on the states and respective federations,� he added.
K.P. Singh Deo, the president of the Rowing Federation of India said such endeavours would help promote various water sports in which the country stood a chance to excel in international arena.
Talking about the forthcoming Asian Games, Singh Deo said that India stands a good chance of bettering the performance. The coaching camp for the games was being held at Aleppey in Kerala with 12 men and nine women participants.
E. Railway bestEastern Railway emerged champion of the Bimal Kr Chandra All India Open Waterpolo championship beating Eastern Railway 7-4 in the final at Azad Hind Bagh (Hedua) Sunday. Debashish Prasad and Nanigopal Ghosh scored two goals each for the winners.
TODAY IN SPORT
SOCCER: Calcutta Football League, Group A: Police AC vs ECLSA (Mohun Bagan), Kidderpore SC vs Kalighat Club (Howrah Stadium), Bata SC vs Milan Bithee (East Bengal); Group B: Salkia Friends vs Calcutta Police (Tarun Sangha), Behala Youth vs Bally Protiva Club (Md. Sp.) All matches at 3:30 pm
| || |
| || |
1. Pune Plate, Div-II 1,400m: (6-2-3) Crystal Hill (Surjeet) 1; Good Hope 2; Attlee 3. Not run: Royal Heights (4) & Might (7). Won by: 2-1/2; 1-1/4; (1-30.2). Tote: Win Rs 214; Place: 22; 10; 13; Quinella: 137; Shp: 28; Tanala: 1,164. Fav: Good Hope (2).
2. Supervite Plate 1,400m: (6-3-4) Welsh Dancer (Prakash) 1; Secret Silver 2; Prince Thunder 3. Won by: 1-3/4; 4; (1-28.7). Tote: Win Rs 22; Place: 11; 15; 18; Quinella: 49; Shp: 45; Tanala: 236. Fav: Almonar (2).
3. Young Rajput Plate, Div-II 1,200m: (2-10-4) Sunraj (Rajinder) 1; Wikhed Idea 2; Galaxie Dust 3. Won by: 2-1/4; 9; (1-14.6). Tote: Win Rs 25; Place: 12; 14; 23; Quinella: 28; Shp: 34; Tanala: 248. Fav: Wikhed Idea (10).
4. Pune Plate, Div-I 1,400m: (1-3-4) Trap A Spy (Warren) 1; Juarra 2; Agnivarsh 3. Won by: 3-1/4; 4; (1-30). Tote: Win Rs 33; Place: 15; 20; 17; Quinella: 98; Shp: 58; Tanala: 364. Fav: Trap A Spy (1).
5. Broadacres Stud Plate, Div-I 1,400m: (4-5-3) Affined (C. Alford) 1; Butter Sponge 2; Almost Heaven 3. Won by: 1-3/4; 1-3/4; (1-27.4). Tote: Win Rs 63; Place: 14; 21; 26; Quinella: 175; Shp: 80; Tanala: 3,255. Fav: Butter Sponge (5).
6. Maharaja�s Cup 2,200m: (14-4-8) Iflookscouldkill (Harish) 1; The Pelican 2; Tapatio 3. Not run: Elusive Emperor (11). Won by: 1/2; 1-1/2; (2-18). Tote: Win Rs 432; Place: 63; 14; 41; Quinella: 274; Shp: 60; Tanala: 27,702. Fav: The Pelican (4).
7. Brig. R. C. R. Hill Memorial Cup 1,400m: (8-2-5) Crystal Goblet (Appu) 1; Strides of Fire 2; Belief 3. Won by: 4-1/4; SH; (1-28.2). Tote: Win Rs 36; Place: 16; 18; 27; Quinella: 39; Shp: 46; Tanala: 312. Fav: Strides of Fire (2).
8. Young Rajput Plate, Div-I 1,200m: (5-4-7) Baira (Rajesh) 1; Pelf 2; Kingley 3. Not run: Crush (10). Won by: 2-1/4; 3-1/2; (1-16.5). Tote: Win Rs 77; Place: 19; 16; 13; Quinella: 208; Shp: 38; Tanala: 864. Fav: Coco Beach (6).
9. Broadacres Stud Plate, Div-II 1,400m: (7-5-11) Brunswick (Kader) 1; Star Alone 2; Name of Love 3. Won by: SH; 1-1/4; (1-27.1). Tote: Win Rs 96; Place: 24; 21; 17; Quinella: 302; Shp: 56; Tanala: 1,343. Fav: Name of Love (11).
Jackpot: Rs 3,49,571 (Carried over); (C) Rs 89,890.
Treble: (i) Rs 2,409; (ii) Rs 5,312; (iii) Rs 2,864.