The Muzaffarpur district administration has ordered post-mortem of a teenager after he died in judicial custody on Sunday night.
Rupesh Kumar, alias Anup, was shifted to a juvenile home in Muzaffarpur from one in Gaya on August 10. Officials said he complained of nausea and was taken to the sadar hospital around 1km away where he was declared brought dead. His death on Sunday raked up a controversy, as multiple injury marks were found on the body.
District magistrate Anupam Kumar constituted a team to conduct the post-mortem on Monday.
The juvenile home’s acting superintendent of the juvenile home, Abhimanyu Kumar, said Rupesh complained of nausea in the evening. “I immediately directed officials concerned to admit him to the hospital. But he died on the way,” he said.
Muzaffarpur deputy superintendent of police (Town) Anil Kumar Singh said Rupesh was a resident of Nawagarh village in Rohtas district. The doctors at the hospital, around 1km away from the juvenile home in Sikandarpur, declared him “brought dead” at 9.05pm. “Injury marks have been mentioned in the police inquest report,” he told The Telegraph.
Abhimanyu claimed Rupesh had the injury marks at the time he was brought to the Muzaffarpur home.
Rupesh, facing charges of loot and dacoity, had been in juvenile homes since 2010. His name figured in a train dacoity near Koelwar in Bhojpur district that year.
The Town DSP said: “Since he was in judicial custody and his body bore injury marks, we recommended a post-mortem under the supervision of a medical board.”
A police team visited the juvenile home at Sikandarpur on Monday, enquiring into allegations that Rupesh’s condition deteriorated after he was beaten up by some fellow inmates on Sunday evening. “The police are probing the case from all angles,” Singh said.
District magistrate Anupam constituted a five-member medical board to conduct the post-mortem. “The entire process is being videographed and the next course of action will be taken on the receipt of the autopsy report,” he said.