TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
 
TO OUR READERS
CIMA Gallary

BJP cries foul over transfers

Ranchi, Aug. 14: BJP today urged Election Commission of India to take serious note of the transfer of officials announced by the Hemant Soren government on Tuesday night, alleging these were aimed at influencing the outcome of the coming Vidhan Sabha elections in the state.

Addressing a news conference, senior BJP leader and leader of the Opposition in the Assembly Arjun Munda argued that as per rules only those officials who have spent more than three years in a post should be transferred ahead of elections.

Also, according to revised rules, an IAS officer cannot be transferred from one place or post before two years.

“If the government feels that a particular officer needs to be transferred before that it would have to give specific reasons,” said Munda, adding that during the last Lok Sabha elections there were largescale irregularities in deployment of forces in connivance with government officials.

Munda noted that about a month ago energy secretary B.K. Tripathy had recommended vigilance probe against the state power board, Jharkhand Urza Vikas Nigam Limited. The proposal is still pending with energy minister Rajendra Prasad Singh for approval.

He said senior BJP leader Saryu Roy also wrote several letters to former chief secretary R.S. Sharma to carefully examine the affairs of the power board. But, every time he was told that the energy secretary had been asked to submit a report, Munda said, and promised to make public all correspndence regarding the power board.

“Now all those senior officials, including chief secretary, energy secretary, finance secretary and even principal secretary to the chief minister, all of whom objected to the irregularities in the JUVNL, have been transferred. We will not remain mute spectators to such misuse of power,” Munda said.

The senior BJP leaders also reviewed preparations for prime minister Narendra Modi’s proposed visit to Ranchi on August 21 when he is scheduled to inaugurate a 2,500 MW central power grid.

Munda argued that though the project was approved by the Manmohan Singh government, it was the Modi government that ensured its completion. He even alleged that as the Hemant Soren government was not helping the Power Grid Corporation of India to complete pending work in Jharkhand because of which the state was suffering.

“As chief minister of Jharkhand I had initiated the move to set up a central grid in Jharkhand to facilitate smooth inter-state power supply. The Congress-led government at the Centre failed to complete the work on time and now the Hemant Soren government in Jharkhand has been creating unnecessary problems for the corporation for the last six months,” Munda added.