TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Pay up or face music, colleges told

- Provincialised institutions asked to deposit fees

Jorhat, July 27: Dispur has asked 134 colleges across the state, which were provincialised from venture category in two phases last year, to deposit 70 per cent of the tuition fees collected from the students since the date of provincialisation to the directorate of higher education at the earliest.

The directive issued by the director of higher education, Phanindra Jidung, earlier this month to principals of 134 new provincialised colleges warns of disciplinary action against the colleges if the instruction was not followed forthwith.

Earlier, the number of provincialised colleges in the state was 189, but the government provincialised 77 venture colleges with effect from January 1, 2013, in the first phase, followed by another 57 colleges with effect from August 14, 2013. There are seven government colleges in Assam.

The letter said all the new colleges should immediately deposit 70 per cent of the tuition fees collected from students since the date of provincialisation with the directorate of higher education office by bank draft in the name of the director.

The directive mentioned that the state government would deposit the said amount collected from the new provincialised colleges in the RUSA (Rashtriya Uchchatar Siksa Abhiyan) accounts for the purpose of utilising the funds for infrastructure development and of other academic purposes of the colleges.

Prior to provincialisation of colleges in Assam in 2007, the colleges, then known as deficit (grants-in-aid), used 70 per cent of the tuition fees collected from the students for paying salaries while the government paid the lion’s share. After provincialisation, the government pays the entire salary of college employees.

In November last year, Jidung had asked the provincialised colleges to deposit 70 per cent of the tuition fees collected from students from April 2007 to March 2013, since provincialisation, with his office. The remaining 30 per cent could be used for development, including contingency and maintenance of assets by the colleges, the instruction issued in November 2013 by the director said.

The present directive also stated that in some of the newly provincialised colleges, both teaching and non-teaching staff had drawn salaries from the governing bodies of the colleges as well from funds released by the government to pay salaries from the date of provincialisation of the colleges. The directive termed such kind of double drawing of salaries by the teaching and non-teaching staff as “objectionable from the audit point of view”.

Jidung asked the governing bodies of such new provincialised colleges, where double payment has been made to its employees, to recover the amount paid by the governing bodies at the earliest.

how they are run

A governing body constituted by the state government runs provincialised colleges

The governing body president, who is generally an academician or an administrator, has a term of 5 years

Dispur runs the government colleges directly

In government colleges, students pay nominal fees while the government bears the entire expenditure of the colleges, including salaries of employees

In provincialised colleges, governing bodies fix student fees as the government bears only the employees’ salary cost


 More stories in Northeast

  • Govt to aid farmers on certification
  • Petitions for axing MLAs
  • First public hearing for Talong after 7 years
  • Timber smuggling
  • Bodo dance training at university
  • Dutch show to feature Payeng
  • Bridge on the Barak cleared
  • New Model triumph in opener
  • Road mishap
  • GSA prize for discipline
  • Riflemen trounce Dupkon FC 10-2
  • Youth held to draw
  • Silchar boys win
  • Cop awarded for excellence
  • BJP team in Tripura today
  • Pay up or face music, colleges told
  • Rare bird placed on endangered species list
  • Abducted teacher released
  • 2008 blast accused killed
  • ANVC-B 'conspiracy' cry on arrests