New Delhi, July 27 (PTI): The Centre has begun serving eviction notices on about 20 former ministers and 120 ex-MPs who are still occupying government accommodation.
Sources said the directorate of estates would take steps to vacate the bungalows and flats within a week of the notices being served.
In keeping with the rules, the former ministers and MPs had been given a month to move out after the new government was sworn in on May 26. The deadline expired on June 26 but was extended by another month following pleas from many of the former ministers and MPs.
Even that deadline passed yesterday. Urban development minister Venkaiah Naidu has ruled out any more extensions, sources said.
The former MPs and those among the former ministers who lost the summer elections are not entitled to government accommodation any more. Those former ministers who are Rajya Sabha members have to move to alternative government accommodation.
Many of the new ministers and MPs are still staying at state bhavans and the Ashoka Hotel, waiting for Lutyens zone accommodation.
Lalu Prasad has been given an extension till October, and the family of the late Sis Ram Ola will be allowed to stay on till next year. Mallikarjun Kharge can keep his ministerial bungalow till a decision is taken on the post of leader of the Opposition.