Ranchi Municipal Corporation CEO Manoj Kumar promised officiating chief secretary Sajal Chakraborty on Friday to implement the latter’s pet project Operation Touch-up — a fast-track cleaning and city beautification drive — from Sunday.
Taking cognisance of the report published in The Telegraph on Thursday (Eyesore capital mocks mission), Chakraborty had show-caused Kumar on why the civic guardians were indifferent to mounds of garbage littered across the city, which made it a hygiene nightmare and a commuting mess.
“I had a word with CS sir (Chakraborty). I will ensure that Operation Touch-up resumes in full force,” Kumar told The Telegraph.
Asked why RMC remained nonchalant for last one week, Kumar had an excuse ready.
“A day after the CS launched the clean-up operation, we got busy with our board meetings that went on for two days. Thereafter, our officials had to appear before the high court for various cases,” he said.
He cited other reasons too.
“Some of our labourers were busy due to the ongoing Shravan festivities at Ratu Road and Pahari Mandir. Also, this being Ramazan month of fasting, many of our workers are not regular. We are trying our best to maintain cleanliness. Manpower crunch is a serious problem,” he added.
Kumar also blamed the ward councillors and said that they never co-operated with the clean mission.
“In each ward, I have deputed 20-25 labourers. But the ward councillors should also take some responsibility and cooperate with us in overseeing the tasks and ensuring cleanliness,” Kumar said, adding that in a day or two he would set things in order.
“I will press additional squads with tractors in Circular Road and Main Road, among others, apart from the routine cleaning jobs. I will also ensure that garbage is picked up regularly,” he said.
But a week after acting chief secretary Chakraborty launched Operation Touch-up to put the capital’s cleanliness and beautification on fast track following his two-hour recce of streets, the mess has only gone from bad to worse.
RMC, ordered to place 100 dustbins, deploy flying squads to prevent people from littering and slap notices on eateries flouting cleanliness norms within 24 hours after the July 9 surprise check, has so far done nothing.