TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Kamrupa defeat FCI 2-1

Guwahati, July 9: A spirited Kamrupa Football Club clinched a 2-1 victory over Food Corporation of India Sports Club in their match of the Premier Agro Bio-Tech N.N. Bhattacharya Knockout Football Tournament at Nehru Stadium here today.

Kamrupa Football Club came close to breaking the deadlock early in the seventh minute through Dhabesh Daimary. Daimary, on having received a pass from Rudra Boro, took a powerful strike from inside the box and missed the target by some margin.

The side came close to finding the lead in the 17th minute when Sontul Rabha’s corner found Jibeswar Rabha on the edge of the box. However the latter’s attempt missed the crossbar by a whisker.

The first notable strike from the FCI side came in the 26th minute when Saurav Chutia decided to have a go from the edge of the box but was fisted out for a corner by Kamrupa FC custodian Amulya Rabha.

Rudra Boro provided Kamrupa FC with the lead in the 28th minute after having received a pass from Padma Rabha. Boro’s powerful strike from inside the box left FCI custodian with no reply.

FCI came close to finding their equaliser in the 42nd minute but Kamrupa FC custodian Amulya Rabha managed to pull out a fine save. Kailash Gogoi from the right flank provided Rakesh Das with an absolute opportunity however the latter’s header managed the safe hands of the Kamrupa glovesman.

With the second half kicking off, it was FCI with their frequent attacks although their failure to convert their chances let them down.

It was Amulya Rabha yet again who came to his side’s rescue with a brilliant save off N. Momocha Singh’s free kick from the edge of the box in the 52nd minute to deny FCI their equaliser.

Sontul Rabha, on having received a lobbed pass from Dhabesh Daimary, made no mistake in providing his side with a two-goal lead with a powerful volley from the edge of the box in the 54th minute.

FCI, desperately in search of goals, had Rakesh Das find the back of the net with a powerful strike in the 60th minute. They again came close to finding their equaliser in the 65th minute. However, Rudra Boro’s strike could only manage to hit the crossbar in the 65th minute.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Laurels for Manipur's coach
  • Modi govt drags feet on NE rebel talks
  • Absu deposes, blames migrants
  • NGO to finance rural Assam
  • Bodo group to meet Modi
  • Eviction to follow law: Gogoi
  • Man sentenced for rape, cheating
  • Pulin Das critical, on life support
  • CAG rap
  • Panel miffed with slow pace of work on Dhubri port
  • Rain creates havoc in Arunachal
  • No plan to shift hill dwellers
  • Gujarat solar plant for Barak
  • Kamrupa defeat FCI 2-1
  • Union warns of agitation
  • Mizoram eye national squad
  • Action against CMJ initiated
  • Rural bodies stage sit-in
  • Solar balm for power-hit Assam tea gardens
  • Govt mulls polytechnic upgrade
  • Scandal whiff in Wakf function
  • Man dies in season's first wave of floods
  • Mahato and Deka best
  • Assam leads in urban green cover