Delhi University’s BTech students protest against the rollback of the FYUP on Saturday. Picture by Ramakant Kushwaha
New Delhi, June 28: Admissions to Delhi University’s undergraduate colleges begin on Tuesday but a cloud continues to hang over the future of the current BTech students who want their four-year courses to continue.
Two key university bodies today formally ratified the rollback of the four-year undergraduate programme, bowing to pressure from the higher education regulator and paving the way for admissions to begin under the old three-year system.
The first cut-off lists for all the university’s 78 colleges will be declared on Tuesday. A principals’ committee has recommended that the 2.7 lakh applicants to the 54,000 seats read the cut-off list of every college and then reach their preferred college with their certificates and seek admission directly.
The students had applied to the university marking out their preferred colleges but this has become redundant following the switch from the four-year programme, introduced last year.
This is because the students had applied only for honours courses — the sole option under the four-year programme — but now the colleges will offer both honours and pass courses.
Vice-chancellor Dinesh Singh is likely to approve the principals’ committee report by tomorrow.
Giving another chance to those students who have missed the deadline to fill application forms, the varsity has allowed them to take admission by filling the university registration form along with the college admission form.
According to the guidelines, the admissions would take place as per the 2012-13 academic session. Also, the students are supposed to give an undertaking declaring that they were taking admission in a UG course of three-year duration in “full consciousness and awareness”.
The principals’ committee has also recommended that the four-year BTech and Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) courses started last year be scrapped.
If the recommendation is accepted, the nearly 25,000 students who took the entrance test for the 800-odd BMS seats on Thursday would instead need to seek admission to a three-year Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) course.
Also, applicants to the BTech course will have to study three-year BSc courses. Neither group is likely to mind because a BBA is deemed as good as a BMS, while the BTech aspirants still have the chance to secure seats in reputable engineering colleges.
But one group of students is deeply worried — the 2,500 who enrolled in the BTech courses last year. They believe that if the programme reverts to the three-year BSc, it would hurt their job prospects.
These students went to the human resource development ministry office today and submitted a memorandum demanding continuation of the four-year BTech courses.
A committee set up by the University Grants Commission, the higher education regulator, has been asked to look into these students’ concerns.
One proposal on the table is to allow this batch to continue with the four-year course as a special case. But these students want the BTech programme to continue for future batches too.
They say they don’t want to be singled out in the job market as “special batch” students.
“If they allow just our batch, it would not help us. We will be singled out as ‘special batch’ students and our degrees may not carry much value,” said Amay Kumar, a student of Maharaja Agrasen College.
The commission says the four-year undergraduate programme violated the 10+2+3 formula laid down in the National Education Policy 1986, and was implemented without the necessary clearance from the university’s Visitor (the President of India).
Teachers’ bodies have criticised the four-year programme’s course contents and argued that the extra year of study hurts students from poorer families.