New Delhi, June 27. (Agencies): Delhi University on Friday rolled back the four-year undergraduate programme that had put it on a collision course with the University Grants Commission, and said colleges should follow the 2012-13 course pattern for admissions to the new session.
DU vice-chancellor Dinesh Singh, who had spearheaded the conversion of the undergraduate programme from a three-year one to a four-year term last year, said Friday the university is going back to the old system.
DU’s decision is expected to bring relief to the 2.7-lakh-odd students who compete for 54,000 seats in the 64 colleges under the university.
On Sunday, just before admissions to the 64 colleges under the university were supposed to start on June 24, the UGC had told the university to withdraw the FYUP and go back to the old system, or face action.
Singh asked principals of various colleges affiliated to the university to start admissions for the new session.
“In line with the directive of the UGC, the University has decided to roll back the FYUP. Consequently, the admission process shall be conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13 in all the colleges of the University of Delhi,” Singh said.
Singh said DU recognises the need of the hour and it is of ”paramount importance” to protect the interests of the students by ensuring the start of the admission process.
”It is expected that the principals of our colleges shall assist in devising and ensuring a speedy completion of the admission process,” he said.
It was not immediately known what would be the fate of the first batch of the FYUP, who have completed one year.
On Thursday, as it became clear that government and even the courts were refusing to be drawn in the controversy, DU had forwarded a compromise proposal to the UGC that would have modified the FYUP into two components.
The UGC remained adamant.
On Friday, initially the DU wrote to the UGC that it was working on a response in accordance with the “spirit of your directives” to ensure the admission process starts very soon.
”I am directed to state that the University is in the process of drafting a response in accordance with the spirit of your directives to ensure that the admission process start very soon. We will sent it to you at the earliest,” DU told the UGC.
The climbdown came later in the day, even as the Union human resource development minister, Smriti Irani, continued to refuse comment on the standoff.
Cornered by reporters at a school function in Bhopal, Irani cited constitutional obligations.
”There have been persistent attempts on me to speak on a constitutional issue, which is not proper. Kindly do not compel me to breach constitutional propriety,” Irani told reporters when asked about the controversy over the FYUP in DU.