| NSUI activists demonstrate outside the Delhi University on Tuesday. Picture by Yasir Iqbal |
New Delhi, June 24: Aspiring Delhi University students are in a quandary as the University Grants Commission and the varsity face-off over the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) continued even on Tuesday.
The worst sufferers were the outstation students. Thousands of students and their guardians from various students including Bihar, Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Jharkhand among others descended on the capital ahead of the scheduled commencement of admissions today. But with the admission process deferred indefinitely, they were clueless on whether to stay back in Delhi and wait for the admission procedure to begin or go back home.
Abhishek Kumar from Motihari in Bihar, who had arrived in the capital with his parents yesterday, put up in a guesthouse in Laxmi Nagar.
“I had applied for political science and history and am sure that I will make it to a good college in the university. However, seeing the situation here, we are perplexed. I hung around in various colleges today to find out when the cut-off list would be announced but there seems to be clarity. Some people are saying it would begin after a week but nobody knows for sure. My parents can’t stay back here for long as they are both working. I don’t know what to do next,” said Abhishek.
Aman Kumar from Purnea has got 60 per cent in Class XII but is hoping to get into one of the prestigious colleges through sports quota. For now, he is putting up at a relative’s place in Munirka but says he is in a fix owing to the prevalent situation in DU.
“I fail to understand why did they leave such an important decision for the last moment? The UGC and the DU had to get into the mess right at the time of admission? And why did not UGC do anything in the past one year since the implementation of the programme if they believe it was against mandatory norm? As a result of the tussle, we students are feeling the heat. In such an expensive city, living even an extra day pinches but thousands like us have no choice,” Aman said.
Arjoma Dhar from Chandannagar in Bengal said she wished to get admission in the DU BTech course, which was introduced along with the FYUP last year. With the news that the FYUP may be scrapped, she was unsure if BTech in DU would continue or not. It is also late for her now to apply in mainstream BTech colleges.
Many students like Arjoma didn’t know for how long they may have to wait. As the admission process is lengthy and tiring, they want to get over with it as soon as possible.
The repercussions of scrapping the FYUP would also be a step backward for the students currently studying under the programme. Miraya Hsan, a BTech student in Maharaja Agrasen College, said: “What our seniors did in three years, we would be doing it in two years as our one year has been wasted.”
Teachers too had full sympathy for the hapless students. “The students cannot do anything but wait for the authorities to make up their mind. Till then, the students will have to wait. The condition is worse for the students studying under FYUP now,” said an assistant professor in Deen Dayal Upadhyay College.