TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Boys outsmart girls in pre-medical exam

Bhubaneswar, June 7: Boys performed better than girls in the All-India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Test – 2014, conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education.

Of as many as 18,115 candidates who have qualified, 9,716 are boys and 8,399 are girls.

The results were announced today. From the state, nearly 35,000 students had taken the entrance test held on May 4 from three centres in Bhubaneswar, Rourkela and Berhampur.

The statewise performance of students could not be immediately ascertained.

Students in the city were seen logging on to the CBSE website www.aipmt.nic.in, www.cbse.nic.in and www.cbseresults.nic.in, to get their “state rank” as well as “all-India rank”.

Arnav Panigrahi from Bhubaneswar topped the Odisha merit list. In the all-India ranking, his name figured at 132.

The board’s regional director A.S. Verma said the qualified candidates would have to wait till the Odisha JEE announced the dates for counselling and asked the selected candidates to remain in touch with their respective counselling authorities and institutions for further details.

OJEE secretary Priyabrata Sahoo said the counselling would begin after they received the state and the all-India merit lists from the board head office. “It is expected to reach us in a day or two. We will finalise the dates in consultation with the board authorities,” he said.

According to the norms, 85 per cent seats of the medical colleges will be filled up by students from the state, and for the remaining 15 per cent, candidates from outside the state will be drawn from the all-India merit list.

To ensure that the students did not ask for re-checking of their answer sheets, the board had made the answer sheets available on its website for the students to point out if there were any discrepancy. The sheets had been available on the net for two weeks. The board does not entertain any application for re-evaluation or re-checking.

The exam paper consisted of 180 multiple choice objective questions from physics, chemistry and biology, and students were required to answer within 180 minutes.

An official said the records of the All-India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Test would be preserved till August 31 for the students to access it.

The state has three government medical colleges — SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack with 250 seats, MKCG Medical College and Hospital in Berhampur with 150 seats and VSS Medical College and Hospital in Burla with 150 seats. The state has four private colleges with 400 medical seats.

A total of 5,23,701 candidates from across the country had taken the test.