Ottawa, June 5 (Reuters): Canadian police mounted a massive hunt today for a 24-year-old man armed with high-powered weapons who they suspect shot dead three police officers and wounded two more in the eastern city of Moncton.
The incident was one of the worst of its kind in Canada, where fatal attacks on police are rare.
Police cordoned off a large area in the city’s northwest and warned residents to stay inside their homes and lock their doors. A large armoured police truck entered the area early this morning and a helicopter hovered overhead.
Schools and government offices were shut in the city of 70,000 in the East Coast province of New Brunswick.
Police told residents not to tweet the locations of officers for fear they could be helping the suspect, who they named as Justin Bourque. He has no previous criminal record. Police said Bourque had been spotted three times in Moncton since the shootings.