Herat/New Delhi, June 2: An Indian aid worker is said to have been abducted today by suspected militants in Afghanistan’s Herat, less than a fortnight after the Indian consulate in the province was attacked by militants.
No group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping so far.
The Tamil Nadu native was working for a charity organisation and was involved in facilitating education for refugees. His name is being withheld on request from authorities.
He was sent to Herat to co-ordinate activities that cover more than two educational outfits, including one with an affiliation to a renowned academic institution in Calcutta.
The Jesuit Conference South Asia (JCSA) said the 47-year-old was the country director of the Jesuit Refugee Service for Afghanistan from October 2012 and had been there for the past three years.
“Yes. He hails from Tamil Nadu,” Fr. Edward S Mudavassery, a JCSA director, said over phone from Delhi. He said the man had earlier served in Tamil Nadu.
The Indian was abducted from Zenda Jan district where he had gone to assess a project this afternoon.
The abduction comes days after foreign secretary Sujatha Singh returned from Afghanistan after reviewing security in the wake of the consulate attack.