TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Student attempts suicide

A 16-year-old boy, scolded by his elder sister for failing his matric exam, swallowed poison on Thursday at her home in Dumaria, Ghatshila subdivision, but survived due to timely medical attention.

Gulab Singh is now recovering at MGM Medical College and Hospital.

A resident of Barabanki village on the outskirts of Jamshedpur, Gulab came to know he failed in matric when results were declared on April 29. He had failed last year too.

When he went to visit his married sister Namita at her Dumaria home, on Wednesday she told him to start preparations again. This upset Gulab so much that he shut himself up inside a room.

On Thursday morning, when relatives did not get any sponse from him, they broke open the door to find him unconscious on the bed.

“He was frothing in the mouth and a bottle of poison was lying beside him,” said Gulab’s uncle Raghubir Singh Sardar.

Sakchi thana assistant sub-inspector Sambhunath Majhi said they would record the boy’s statement when he was conscious. The doctor treating Gulab said his condition was serious, but he was responding to treatment.


 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Sound sense behind cool BIT gadget
  • Strike holds rural health to ransom
  • Termites, get lost from golf course
  • RMC water in slo-mo trickle
  • Fair archery feat by teen duo
  • Skilled use of CSR resources
  • CM push for welfare projects
  • Relief trickle for thirsty city
  • Mecon gate protests swell
  • New rail hub in road fix
  • Blast trail leads to 'friendly' doctor
  • Smooth access to toll bridge
  • Horror sequel to healthcare
  • Surgical surge for hospital
  • Student
  • Black market ticket arrests
  • HEC hopes for Modi sops
  • Pat for campus free of stress
  • Sajal prod for private varsity rules