TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Violence-hit kids find a home

- Three orphaned children shifted to SOS Children’s Village

Guwahati, May 15: The Child Welfare Committee, Baksa, today decided to shift three of the six children orphaned during the May 2 militant attacks at Narayanguri village to SOS Children’s Village, Hojai, in Nagaon district.

Militants gunned down the parents of the six children, aged between eight and 16 years, on May 2. Since then they have been living in the relief camp at Narayanguri, about 1km away from their village. Altogether 498 people, including 200 minors, are taking shelter at the relief camp.

The six were produced before the child welfare committee today following instructions from the Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights on Friday. The commission had instructed the Baksa district administration to immediately shift the orphans to children’s homes.

Sources in the commission told The Telegraph today that the three orphaned siblings, aged between eight and 13 years, are living with their 60-year-old grandmother, Tara Banu, at the relief camp. Two of them are girls who study in Classes VI and VII respectively, while their eight-year-old brother studies in Class III.

“Since they lost their parents and their grandmother is poor, the three will be shifted to the SOS village in a couple of days. The child welfare committee will take a decision tomorrow regarding the three other kids,” the source said.

Militants had attacked Balapara village in Kokrajhar district and Narayanguri and Khagrabari villages in Baksa district on May 1 and 2, leaving 46 people, including 22 children, dead. Two children are reported to be missing.

The Telegraph in its May 5 edition had reported how the children who saw their parents being killed by militants were in a state of utter shock.

Save The Children, an NGO, yesterday urged the Assam government to take proper care of the 200 children who fled their houses and are taking shelter at Narayanguri camp.

Chief minister Tarun Gogoi, during his visit to the relief camps, had announced that those orphaned in the violence would be shifted to SOS Children’s Village and the government would assist other children affected by the attacks.