|Babul Supriyo outside the Asansol court on Tuesday. Picture by Santosh Kumar Mandal
Asansol, April 22: Babul Supriyo, the BJP candidate in Asansol, was today granted bail in a case related to a blockade on National Highway 60 in Raniganj on April 12.
The singer, who had been charged under a non-bailable section of the National Highways Act carrying a maximum punishment of five years in jail, today surrendered in the Asansol ACJM court after being advised by the BJP’s legal cell, which feared he might be arrested.
Supriyo, who has also been charged under the Arms Act although no weapon was found on him after an altercation with a Trinamul leader on April 12, arrived in the court in his white SUV and submitted his papers related to the roadblock case around 8.15am.
“I prayed after getting up this morning and then had a piece of cake given by my daughter at Mumbai airport yesterday. My 14-year-old daughter had ordered me to do so. I could not have ignored it,” said the BJP candidate, dressed in a black shirt and jeans.
Fans and supporters jostled for autographs and handshakes as the smiling singer came out of the court around 8.30am after submitting the papers. Accompanied by BJP president Nirmal Karmakar and lawyer Ram Iqbal Singh, Supriyo roamed around the court compound for a few minutes and spent some time at the Asansol Bar Association.
Unable to resist the hot kachoris being fried outside, Supriyo gulped down five and then had tea.
The BJP candidate was summoned to the courtroom around 11.30am by additional chief judicial magistrate Aniruddha Maiti. Sources said Supryo was granted bail on a surety of Rs 1,500.
“I had faith in the judiciary. Now I will give maximum time to campaigning,” Supriyo said, before leaving for Kulti to campaign.