Calcutta: With the 2015 Ashes in England top on his agenda, Mitchell Johnson revealed he may need to reconsider his availability for Australia in all three forms of the game.
An infection caused by a cut to his right toe, sustained during the final Test against South Africa in Cape Town, led to his withdrawal from the World T20 in Bangladesh, where Australia failed to progress beyond the group stage. While recuperating at home in Perth, Johnson did ponder whether he can withstand the rigours of all three formats at 32-years of age.
Having said that, the pacer, who was the architect of the Australian resurgence, has his thoughts clear on his participation in IPL VII. He is certainly looking forward to a successful campaign with his new team — Kings XI Punjab.
“You can get the white ball to swing. But really, it’s just good to get out there and enjoy some cricket, which is how I see the IPL.
“It’s really just a form of entertainment,” Johnson told the Cricket Australia (CA) website on Tuesday.
“The first IPL I played (last year) was with a really good team (Mumbai Indians) in Mumbai… Had played with Sachin (Tendulkar) which was really exciting. He’s a guy that I had grown up watching and to have the opportunity to play alongside him is something not many people get.
“One of the other things I got out of it was to come across different cultures in the side. So, you can get a bit of an understanding as to how other teams and other players go about it. And all in all, the IPL is just unbelievable.
“It’s a bit of a circus, the crowds are massive and get right behind it… And it’s just so full on.”