TT Epaper
The Telegraph
TT Photogallery
 
CIMA Gallary

I wish to assume office as president: Srini to SC

Narayanswamy Srinivasan

New Delhi: Narayanswamy Srinivasan on Tuesday urged the Supreme Court to rescind its earlier order, directing him to temporarily step down from the post of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president.

He claimed there was no wrongdoing on his part and also asserted that he had never made any offer of stepping down from the post.

Ironically, while his affidavit claimed that it was the BCCI which made the offer for his stepping down, at one place it also stated that Srinvasan had himself made the offer.

The apex court is expected to take up Srinivasan’s affidavit on Wednesday, when the hearing resumes.

“I respectfully state that I did make the offer to step aside from my position from the BCCI till the conclusion of independent inquiry and it was made part of the proposals given by the BCCI to this Hon’ble Court on 27.03.2014.

“…Now the circumstances are quite different in that it clearly appears to me that only the unsubstantiated allegations made by G. Sampath Kumar to the Probe Committee, that I was responsible for his transfer and suspension and therefore I interfered with CB-CID investigation, contributed to the severe comments made by this Hon’ble Court.

“…As stated earlier, I had nothing to do with any investigation done by the said person, or any other agency for that matter.

“Hence, I wish to assume office as President BCCI, as there is no reason at all why I should step aside, pending any investigation into any crime being investigated by CB-CID or other agency.

“In the above circumstances, this Hon’ble Court may be pleased to pass appropriate orders in the interests of justice and dismiss the above SLP (filed by Aditya Verma) and thus render justice,” the affidavit said.

Srinivasan said he was “highly aggrieved by the unfair and unsubstantiated allegations” made against him during the hearing, which had prompted the apex court on March 27 to direct him to temporarily step down.

He also objected to the apex court’s directive that no employee of India Cements shall discharge any function of the BCCI, which, he felt, amounted to singling him out for such harsh treatment.

According to him, Lalit Modi, IS Bindra and others in the past, too, have employed their personal staff to discharge functions of the BCCI.

“I am saying this to bring out the fact that recommending known resource has been the practice in the BCCI, and singling me out as though I have committed a grave indulgence for my personal benefits without an iota of proof, is very unfair,” he said.

The disgraced BCCI chief also rubbished allegations levelled against him by Sampath Kumar, an IPS officer who is currently suspended.

“No credibility can ever be attached to what he said to the Probe Committee since he is a suspended public servant, facing serious charges of corruption...

“ From news reports, I can gather that G. Sampath Kumar had received huge amounts as bribe from various bookies.

“…I categorically state that I have never heard the name of G. Sampath Kumar, or any other officer, who allegedly interrogated one Kitty (an alleged bookie) at least till after the constitution of the Probe Committee.

“Indeed, I have absolutely no truck with any police officials either in Tamil Nadu or in any other state. In fact, I am myself facing false cases filed by one Mehmood Abdi, who has the power of attorney of Lalit Modi and one Naresh Makhani a close associate of the petitioner (Aditya Verma).

“Therefore, I humbly request this Hon’ble Court to reconsider the interim order dated 28.03.2014 in so far as it relates to my position in the BCCI. I wish to resume my elected office. My term ends on September 2014, and I should be allowed to complete my tenure.

“Already, vested interests… have charged me with violating this Hon’ble Court’s order by attending the ICC meetings in Dubai last week. Even though this Hon’ble Court clearly observed orally, as informed to me by counsel, that the interim order is restricted to only BCCI activities, a hue and cry was raised… that I should not represent the BCCI in the ICC,” the affidavit stated.

Srinivasan also clarified that he never made any statement to the Justice Mukul Mudgal Committee that his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was “mere cricket enthusiast”.

“I appeared and met the Probe Committee on December 19, 2013. I never made any comment pertaining to Gurunath Meiyappan’s role, or the lack of it, in the IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings. Any suggestion to the contrary in the report of the committee is incorrect.

“To my knowledge, the members of the committee began asking me about Gurunath Meiyappan betting, and I told them that I don’t believe he had done anything wrong, that I asked him and he denied it…” the affidavit stated.

“…I pointed out that even before his name came up in the Mumbai police investigation, YP Singh, head of the ICC Anti-Corruption and Security Unit, had been invited to attend the meeting of the working committee of the BCCI, held on May 18, 2013, in Chennai.

“This was done soon after some players were arrested by the Delhi Police. He was asked specifically whether he had any information concerning betting or match fixing in IPL 6, and he replied that there was no such information at all...,” the affidavit said.