TT Epaper
The Telegraph
TT Photogallery
 
CIMA Gallary

A strong reply by SLC

Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has dismissed allegations levelled at them by senior players Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara.

The duo, at a press conference held immediately after their return to Colombo on Tuesday from their triumphant World T20 campaign in Bangladesh, had blamed SLC officials for demoralising them ahead of the tournament.

The players said that the Board officials had been critical of their decision to retire from T20 Internationals and choosing wrong methods to announce it.

“What I told the media was in response to a query… I am 37 years of age now. So there is no chance of me playing in another World Cup.

“That was what I said. We are disappointed that Board officials, without clarifying the statements from us, had found fault with us,” Jayawardene said.

A SLC statement said that it regretted “such unsubstantiated accusations levelled against the Honorary Secretary and CEO by a senior member of the national team without verifying the facts as a public forum.”

The SLC officials had expressed disappointment over Jayawardene and Sangakkara’s decisions to retire without making the announcement through proper channels, which is through the Board.