| Sanjay Boro |
Guwahati, April 4: Riding high on confidence after his qualification for the Archery World Cup Stage 2 in Medellin, Columbia, Assam archer Sanjay Boro looks forward to leaving no stone unturned in the upcoming event.
Speaking to The Telegraph, the 18-year-old revealed his plans for the event. The young archer is currently in the national camp at New Delhi. The championship is scheduled from May 13 to 18.
“It is a great feeling to be among the finest lot, although some of the senior archers are yet to arrive. We are having a hectic practice schedule at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here. The coaches here are doing a great job and I am learning new things,” Boro said over phone from New Delhi.
About his professional link with Arjuna awardee and Olympian archer from Assam, Jayanta Talukdar, Boro said: “He has been very supportive and I have learnt a lot from him.”
Boro was ranked seventh in the Youth World Championship while he clinched a 50-metre bronze and silver each in the mixed team and team events at the senior nationals last year.
Archery Association of Assam president Jayanta Boro spoke highly of the youngster, although he lashed out at the Sports Authority of India’s failure to appoint a coach in Kokrajhar from where the archer hails.
“He is undoubtedly a fine talent and has been practising at SAI Kokrajhar since the age of 13. He is doing great and we are hopeful of him shining in the upcoming World Cup. It is very sad that there is no coach appointed by the SAI, NERC, Guwahati. We have appointed Sumesh Chandra Roy, who is doing a great job in guiding the players there,” said Jayanta Boro.
Roy, who has been the mentor at SAI Kokrajhar, said, “One thing that is good about Sanjay is that he is calm and cool and applies his mind. He is one of those who follows advice and is a fine prospect. If he continues in the same way, I am sure he will be another Olympian from the state.”