TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Cong milks rival’s manifesto hitch

New Delhi, April 4: The Congress today scoffed at the BJP’s failure to release its manifesto yet, asking whether the people would have to vote on the basis of Narendra Modi’s “insulting barbs, cheap language and sheer negativism”.

“The country does not know what the BJP’s stand is on agriculture, labour reforms, unorganised sector, economy, youth, Dalits, etc. They have before them the negativism of Modi, his barbs, his divisive and destructive philosophy,” Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said.

“People are in the dark as the BJP is agenda-less and vision-less. It has ceased to be either an organisation or a cohesive party. It is an accumulation of individuals….”

Surjewala continued to target Modi: “The only manifesto that the BJP has is founded neither upon an idea nor (on an) ideology but on the blind lust of an individual who wants to anoint himself the Prime Minister. It is an insult to (Indian) democracy and its 75 crore voters.”

The Telegraph had reported on Friday that purported differences between Modi and Murli Manohar Joshi had delayed the manifesto at a time the elections are just three days away.

Surjewala tried to squeeze the last bit of juice out of what is an embarrassment for the BJP, by pointing to the divisions in the adversary’s ranks.

“The views of the chairman of the manifesto committee, Murli Manohar Joshi, have either been rejected or put in the deep freezer. Another member of the manifesto committee, Jaswant Singh, said the fight is between the real and the fake BJP,” he said.

“The extreme of sycophancy was reflected in Uma Bharti’s statement that whatever Modi says is the manifesto. The question is, whether he says anything at all. He insults and belittles others.”

Surjewala also mentioned the purported sting by a news portal that suggests the Babri Masjid demolition of 1992 had been pre-planned and was not a spontaneous act by a frenzied mob.

“The sting shows the Sangh parivar outfits can stoop to any level and have no concern for national unity and communal amity. There was elaborate planning (and) training, and dynamite and petrol bombs were taken to demolish the mosque. We appeal to Indians to analyse, as Modi leads this kind of an anti-national force,” the Congress spokesperson said.

Cobrapost.com has released interviews that allegedly show some lower rung leaders of the BJP, Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the Shiv Sena claiming the operation was carried out with precision by their volunteers after going through intensive training and mock drills.

Among those purportedly interviewed were BJP leaders Uma Bharti, Kalyan Singh and Vinay Katiyar.

The tapes claimed that Kalyan, then BJP chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, and then Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao of the Congress knew about the imminent demolition.

Asked about Rao’s alleged inaction, Surjewala said it had been proved several times that Kalyan had betrayed both the Centre and the Supreme Court after submitting a false affidavit about protecting the mosque.