TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

‘Assaulted’ BDO ill, parade postponed

Calcutta, April 4: The parade to identify the alleged assaulters of the Habra II block development officer was postponed today as the BDO did not appear in court citing health issues.

Dinabandhu Gayen had allegedly been abused and assaulted by Trinamul MLA Dhiman Roy and his associates on March 25 after he removed election paraphernalia carrying the chief minister’s images from a road maintained by the PWD.

All the 15 accused who had been arrested and are now out on bail were brought to the district court in Barasat today for the parade.

“Forty-five people had been brought for the parade. While 15 of them were the accused, the remaining 30 were people not associated with the case. The BDO was supposed to pick out the 15 from among the group,” a police officer said.

Public prosecutor Bikash Dey told the court that the police had sent a notice to the BDO but he cited health issues to say he would not be able to come.

The court then said the identification parade would be held on April 24.

In his first letter to the police, which North 24-Parganas district magistrate Sanjay Bansal had on April 1 described as a mere “draft” and not a formal complaint, BDO Gayen had alleged being abused and assaulted by Trinamul MLA Roy on March 25. Gayen later submitted a second letter that did not mention Roy or any assault, confining the charges to threats and “hot talkings” by 25 Trinamul supporters.