Perth, Mar 26 (PTI): Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott is confident that some debris of the Malaysian airliner missing since March 8 will be found by search teams that resumed operations in the Indian Ocean on Wednesday as the weather cleared.
He said a considerable amount of debris had been sighted in the area where the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 was last recorded.
“Bad weather and inaccessibility has so far prevented any of it being recovered but we are confident that some will be,” Abbot told members of Parliament.
Expert analysis of a handful of faint signals sent from the plane to an Inmarsat satellite have led officials to conclude that the plane crashed in a remote part of the southern Indian Ocean.
Abbot moved a condolence motion in the House of Representatives and offered Parliament's “severe condolence for the families and loved ones of the six Australians and the other passengers and crew who are presumed to have died”.
Abbott said that 12 aircraft and two ships were still looking for any debris in the southern Indian Ocean.
He said black box recovery equipment was also on its way to Australia and was expected to be deployed to the search area by an Australian navy ship.
Six countries are now assisting in the search - Australia, New Zealand, the US, Japan, China and South Korea.
Aircraft and ships from over 20 nations have been hunting for the Boeing 777-200 since it disappeared an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing, with 239 people on board.