One of the injured boys, Mudrika Bhuiyan, at Hazaribagh Sadar Hospital on Monday. Picture by Vishvendu Jaipuriar
Hazaribagh, March 3: Two teenagers were electrocuted and five others received burns injuries soon after they stepped into a waterlogged field where an overhead high tension wire had snapped and fallen in a remote village of Chatra on Sunday evening.
The tragic incident took place after a volleyball match between local Class X and XII boys at Amjhar village in Mayurhund block. The seven had gone to attend nature’s call.
Local villagers rushed all the victims — Rupesh Kumar, Shekhar Kumar Singh, Ramu Bhuiyan, Mudrika Bhuiyan, Manish Kumar Singh, Bandhan Kumar Singh and Birju Bhuiyan — to Hazaribagh Sadar Hospital where 19-year-old Rupesh was declared brought dead.
In the night, Manish, Bandhan and Birju were taken to RIMS in Ranchi after their condition deteriorated. Birju (18), however, died there.
Shekhar lying on the hospital bed on Monday morning recalled the tragedy.
“We had organised a volleyball match in the village. Not knowing that an 11,000-KVA wire had snapped and fallen on the field, we entered it around 5.30pm in the evening. As soon as we put our foot down into the water, we received a jolt,” Shekhar said.
A villager, Duleep Singh who was present nearby and was among those who took the boys to sadar hospital, said he heard loud screams. “I rushed to the spot and saw all seven lying unconscious. They had suffered burns injuries,” he added.
He arranged for a vehicle to take the boys to the nearest hospital, which is 58km from the village, and also informed Mayurhund police.
According to Mohammad Khalid, a social worker who later made arrangement for the boys’ treatment, they took Bandhan, Birju and Manish to RIMS after proper consultation with the doctors.
“But Birju unfortunately succumbed to his injuries there,” Khalid added.
In Amjhar, a pall of gloom descended on Monday when the bodies of Rupesh and Birju arrived at the village. Their last rites were performed later in the day.