TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Govt seeks killings report in a month

- CBI probe buzz around post-massacre riots

Kohima/Nagaon, Feb. 19: The Nagaland government has given the high-powered inquiry committee probing the killing of nine persons in Dimapur district another month to submit its report.

The nine bodies of Karbi labourers were found stacked on top of each other in a ditch at Pachaspura near Chumukedima in Dimapur district on January 3. The victims had been killed on December 28 after they were abducted from Chumukedima town. Initial reports suggested that cadres of the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah) were involved in the massacre.

The staff officer of the Ceasefire Monitoring Group, G. Rengma, said the home ministry had information that NSCN (I-M) cadres were involved in the killings. The Union home ministry has asked the outfit to hand over the cadres involved in the crime to Nagaland police. But the NSCN (I-M) has denied any involvement.

The state government has vowed to bring all the culprits to book. It has also constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT), headed by a senior police officer. The state has also granted ex-gratia payment to families of the nine victims.

Three persons “connected to the NSCN (I-M)” have already been arrested. They are Kapungkhoi Moi who has four aliases — Taokhoi Moi, Akhoi, T.K. Rengma and T.K. Rehong Seb Rengma — and hails from Phalee village in Ukhrul district of Manipur, Ranchan Thuithang — alias Achan and Achan Rengma — from Kashung village in Manipur and Ashuyi Rengma alias Moa from Lola Shunyu village, Borpathar, Karbi Anglong.

Seven other accused have been identified as chairman in-charge of Naga Rengma Hills Protection Force (NRHPF) Keyhang Rengma, its PRO and member in-charge of finance, Zensinlo Rengma, and its cadres Gwani Rengma, Jospeh Rengma, Lasto Rengma, Kishang Rengma and Tenyenseng Rengma, home in-charge of the outfit.

In Assam, Karbi Anglong police sources today said they had heard that the CBI would probe the violent clashes between the Rengmas and Karbis that followed the recovery of the decomposed bodies of nine Karbi persons in Dimapur.

“We have heard that the CBI will probe (the clashes). But nobody has visited the district for that. We have also not received any intimation till now,” the police source said.

According to him, investigations are on and some people involved in the clashes have been arrested. This includes a 13-member team of the Karbi People’s Liberation Tigers (KPLT).

Dispur had announced that fixed police pickets would be established in interior areas of Karbi Anglong district. Already, 10 field police pickets have been established with CRPF jawans.


 More stories in Northeast

  • Thoubal defeat Nongchup
  • Govt seeks killings report in a month
  • New outfit's cadres held
  • Deborah urges people to vote
  • More kids going to school: Report
  • HNLC raises permit pitch
  • Union protests haphazard mining
  • Stamp exhibit in Shillong
  • Dance tells Majuli's tale
  • DRDA staff announce agitation
  • Valley hold Rangdajied
  • Convict files mercy plea
  • Navajyoti beat GTC by 7 wickets
  • Absu team leaves for Delhi
  • CM vows to achieve goals
  • Bud boys reach final
  • DAN coordination meeting today