TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Red heat scares students, politicians
Rebel attacks take toll on study

Hundreds of students, mostly in government primary and middle schools in Munger, Lakhisarai and Jamui, have been deprived of education, owing to Maoist scare.

The fear of rebel attacks has not only kept teachers away from the institutes, at some places the Maoists have demolished school buildings.

The schools in the rural hinterland either remain closed or are defunct. Most of these schools lie in rural parts of Haveli Kharaghpur, Tatia Bamber, Tarapur, and Sangrampur in Munger.

Siltu Kumari, a Class V student of Upgraded Middle School in Chananbar, Jamui, said: Its been over two years that we stopped going to school. Maoists had demolished our school building.

According to sources at the district education department, Munger, many teachers, who were posted in these schools, managed to get transfers around one or two years ago. The role of officials concerned, who helped these teachers get transfers, are under the scanner. Sources added that the teachers posted in such areas managed to get transfers in connivance with block extension education officials concerned. Arun Kumar, the district education officer, Munger, said action would be initiated against officials who allegedly helped the teachers get transferred.

In Maoist-ravaged areas such as Chanan, Piribazar and Kajra in Lakhisarai, the state of primary education is pathetic. According to a source from the district education department in Lakhisarai, over 236 primary and middle schools, located in inaccessible areas or affected by Red extremism, are defunct.

In places like Ghogi Kodasi, Bariyasan, Bangalibandh, Duddham, Hanumanthan, Simratari Kodasi, Ghogharghati, Sitla Kodasi and others, the pupils are deprived off government sponsored schemes like mid-day meals, uniforms and others, a source added. In Jamui, more than 24 school buildings were demolished by the rebels. The Maoists targeted institutes where the district administration provided temporary shelters for security forces.

Yodhan Yadav, a resident of Charka Pathar in Jamui, said: On the evening of February 6, 2011, more than 100 rebels arrived at our village to demolish a school. A group of villagers rushed to the and requested the Maoists not to pull down the building.

Jamui district magistrate Sashi Kant Tiwary was not available for comment but sources in his office said a proposal to repair the damaged building had been sent to the government in 2012 and instructions were given to education officials concerned to start the schools.