A JNAC project site at Ramnagar in Kadma, where a road was to come up. Picture by Animesh Sengupta
Several steel city contractors have raised the red flag against some of their own, barely three days after Jamshedpur Notified Area Committee awarded 125 contracts for various development projects, alleging that several individuals with poor track records had been chosen.
The aggrieved contractors lodged complaints with JNAC special officer Deepak Sahay on Tuesday and Wednesday and decided to approach East Singhbhum deputy commissioner Amitabh Kaushal if their grievances were not addressed by the civic body.
They submitted a list of 11 contractors who they alleged had managed to bag tenders even though work pertaining to earlier tenders they had won were still incomplete.
“As per rule VII of JNAC tender rules, no contractor who has jobs pending prior to the fresh contract, can participate in any fresh tender. But 11 tenders have been allotted to such contractors whose jobs are still lying incomplete,” said an angry contractor on condition of anonymity.
On February 8, JNAC awarded 125 contracts for development projects worth over Rs 7 crore. The projects, which have to be completed within four months, include construction of roads, drains, boundary walls and installation of street lighting systems.
Being funded by the state urban development department, the projects are to be carried out in Ramnagar and Shastringar in Kadma, Bagunnagar and Baridih in Sidhgora, Jemco and Manifit in the Telco area and Bhuiyandih under Sitaramdera.
Sahay admitted he had received complaints from a section of contractors, but said anomalies if any would be sorted out at their next meeting on February 17 as work orders were yet to be issued.
“We have received a complaint that one of the contractors who took part in the bidding process is the son of a senior JNAC staffer. We are yet to look into this. But, if there is any element of truth, then we will reject the tender awarded to that person because JNAC rules forbid wards of civic body staffers from taking part in any tender process,” he told The Telegraph.
Sahay also admitted that some of those allotted jobs had work pending from earlier tenders. “But, the process of awarding the contract is yet to be finalised. If any contractor is found to have bagged contracts despite keeping earlier work incomplete, then we will definitely take action,” he said.
However, the special officer clarified that if deadlines for the earlier projects had not expired, then the bids of these contractors would be allowed.
Moreover, he pointed out that from tomorrow, comparative statements of contract jobs would be prepared. Ultimately, work orders would be issued at the tender committee meeting chaired by the deputy commissioner on February 17.
“All these factors will be taken into consideration then,” he said.