TT Epaper
The Telegraph
TT Photogallery
 
CIMA Gallary

FDI in Mahindra radar unit

Radar components on display at the defence expo on Friday in New Delhi. Picture by Yasir Iqbal

New Delhi, Feb. 7: Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) today announced a joint venture with New York-based Telephonics to set up a radar and defence communications system factory at Prithla, Faridabad.

Telephonics, a unit of Griffon Corp, is a leader in radar technology.

“The idea is to shift production of some of their systems to India. These communication management systems and radars go into aircraft such as C-17, Chinook helicopters, which India has been buying and it makes sense to localise production,” S.P. Shukla, chairman of Mahindra Defence Systems, said.

M&M has a 74 per cent stake in the joint venture, with Telephonics holding the remaining 26 per cent. India allows 26 per cent FDI in the defence segment. Shukla said the US company would be given a higher stake once the FDI cap is raised.

Telephonics joins a clutch of overseas firms, including Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd, to forge alliances with the Mumbai-based automobile and engineering group.

Awake security system

Domestic firm Awake has successfully installed a high security system in Indian missions in Kandahar and Jalalabad, which have been on the terrorist radar for long.

The company has set up a system comprising wireless, parametric and biometric interfaces. Given Afghanistan’s climatic conditions, the devices have been adapted to a temperature range of -20 degree to 50 degree Celsius.

Awake managed to get the contract after successful installations in Naxalite-hit states of Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand.

Tata LAMV

Tata Motors has launched a locally built light armoured high mobility vehicle (LAMV), which can be deployed on a reconnaissance mission ahead of a mechanised infantry in difficult terrains such as desert and mountains.

The light armoured vehicle, developed with technical inputs from Supacat of the UK, has an integrated blast and ballistic protection system.

 
 
" "