Kohima, Feb. 3: The Nagaland government today disclosed that it has paid compensation to the victims of last year’s Mukalimi village incident.
The state government in a release today said it has paid Rs 1 lakh each to the family of three persons who were killed and Rs 50,000 each to the injured.
On December 28 and 29 last year, a mob attacked the NSCN (I-M) camp at Mukalimi village after the outfit had refused to hand over the cadres who had allegedly molested two women and brutally assaulted three men at Aghuyito village on December 21 while they were travelling in a Tata Sumo.
At least five persons were injured during the exchange of fire with the militants.
“Relief materials like rice, sugar, dal, blankets, pots and pans were also distributed on January 1, 2014, as immediate relief to the Mukalimi villagers. Destruction/damage of properties in Mukalimi is also being assessed for compensation,” the state government said.
The mob reportedly ransacked Mukalimi village during the three-day stand off with the militants and took away valuable materials. After the incident, the public of Zunheboto district have been demanding adequate compensation for the victims. There has also been a rift in Zunheboto district as the people of Pughoboto sub-division have refused to stand by the resolution of Sumi Hoho, which stated that it would not support the NSCN (I-M).
The people of Pughoboto said they would support the “Naga issue”, which had irked the Sumi Hoho. NSCN (I-M) chairman Isak Chishi Swu is from Pughoboto.
On February 1, home minister G. Kaito Ayeh had convened a tripartite talks between the Sumi Hoho, Sumi Aphuyemi Kukami Hoho (SAKH) of Pughoboto and Sumi legislators but the Sumi Hoho refused to attend the meeting as the SAKH was attending. The Hoho said SAKH has gone against the wishes of the people of the Sumi community.
The Sumi Hoho has convened another meeting on February 7 at Zunheboto to decide on further course of action.