TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Justice eludes hapless dad

A 55-year-old man in an East Champaran village is running around for almost a year to see his sonís killers brought to justice.

Mohammad Zahid (23), a resident of Dipahi village in East Champaran, passed away in a private nursing home in Patna on March 29 last year after he had been found injured a few days earlier.

As his father Mohammad Rayees alleged that Zahid was murdered, the body was exhumed in May and a post-mortem conducted at Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital. The report, received by the police station concerned on December 26, stated that Zahid was hit on the head with a hard and blunt object.

Rayees had lodged an FIR against three residents of Dipahi village at Ghorasahan police station, accusing them of murdering his son. Even after the post-mortem report, Rayees lamented that action was not being taken against the accused who were freely roaming around.

He also sent an application to the East Champaran superintendent of police (SP) on December 28. ďThe accused are still at large and are attempting to tamper with the evidence. They are also threatening our family with open threats if I donít stop pursuing the matter. They have turned violent after the post-mortem report was received by the Ghorasahan police station,Ē Rayees said in the application.

Copies of the application was also submitted to Tirhut zone inspector-general Pankaj Darad, the director-general of police and the chief ministerís secretariat the same day.

Rayees told The Telegraph: ďOn January 2, I again met the SP and informed him about recent actions of the accused. He assured me of bringing the accused to justice. It seems far away.Ē

East Champaran SP Vinay Kumar said: ďThe police are investigating the case from every possible angle to determine the cause of the victimís death. I have asked the police officers concerned to collect the call detail records of the cellphone of one of the accused. It was recovered from the spot where the victim was found.Ē

The Sikrahna sub-divisional police officer has also been directed to prepare a progress report based on the call detail records of the accused.

Zahid used to run a cellphone repairing shop with his brothers at Ghorasahan market. On March 25, people around the shop had seen him leave on the motorcycle of one Razi Ahmad. Rayees alleged Ahmad and two more persons ó Mohammad Wazir and Waliullah ó of hitting Zahid on his way home.

He was found injured at Bagaha village, around 20km north of Motihari. Taken to a private nursing home in Motihari, where he was administered first aid and advised to be sent to Patna. He died there during treatment at a private nursing home.

 More stories in Bihar

  • BDO wealth under lens
  • Champ tales on PU stage
  • Span set for first flyover
  • Fog and day cold to keep week chilly
  • Police's gizmo eye on peer movement
  • Chopper way to dodge protests
  • Facelift plan for Bodhgaya
  • Justice eludes hapless dad
  • Dal eyes tie-up with Left, SP
  • Illegal drug sale slur on doctor
  • Strike cripples healthcare
  • Rays of hope in land policy
  • Tributes to the father of the nation
  • Varsity golden girls outshine boys
  • Cameras fail to track teasers
  • Delhi gimmick flak