Tura, Jan. 22: Meghalaya chief minister Mukul Sangma has assured help to five-year-old Chidam B. Marak, who lost his arms after being electrocuted. He has also ordered a probe into the incident.
Chidam lost both his arms after being electrocuted at Chasingre near Tura on November 16 last year. While returning from school, the child had urinated near the edge of a high voltage transformer, which led to the electrocution.
West Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi told The Telegraph, “The chief minister has asked us to immediately constitute an inquiry. He has also directed that the guilty, including the lineman and others concerned, be punished.”
The chief minister has also directed the Meghalaya Electricity Corporation Limited (MeECL) to pay compensation for rehabilitation of the victim. He said, “Therapy needs to start for Chidam wit-hin a month, so support has to be quick as other complications may arise, making the process even more painful.”
Bakshi had approached social welfare minister Deborah C. Marak and is waiting for her response.
Concerned citizens from Garo hills have come up to help the boy. An activist, Emphong Sangma, said, “This is really sad and we need to ensure that the boy gets the best chance to live a normal life. I will definitely contribute to his medical treatment.”
Two residents from the North Garo Hills, Chengkal Marak and J.M. Marak, have also assured help. Chengkal said, “We have been moved by the plight of the boy. I will contribute to his medical expenses, so that the boy can lead a normal life.”
Another activist, Jaynie Sangma, was furious as she told The Telegraph, “If the MeECL was not guilty, why did it install the fencing after the incident and not before? It is because of their laziness that the future of a young boy is at stake. This is not acceptable.” Some even opined that an FIR should be filed against the power corporation for the gross negligence.
President of Federation of Khasi, Jaintia and Garo People, Garo hills unit, Pritam Marak, said, “We are meeting his family to help him.”
An activist from Shillong, Belbora Mawkhor, has also promised support for the victim. Angered with the incident, a Tura resident, T.G. Momin, said, “If this was the US, the erring company would definitely had to pay a very hefty fine but since this is India, they think they can get away with this. The erring officials need to be booked immediately and made to pay a compensation for destroying the life of a five-year-old.”
Did they expect the maturity of a 30-year-old in a five-year-old? If the fencing had been put up in the first place, this thing would not have happened.”