TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Mystery over death at drugs factory

Patna, Jan. 18: Three men working in a factory manufacturing ayurvedic medicines were found dead this morning in a room at the plant.

The deceased — Suresh Prasad, Mahendra Sao and Ramesh Paswan — used to work at the factory of Sri Baidyanath Ayurvedic Bhavan Pvt. Ltd in the Postal Park area. Around 11am today, another employee reached the plant and broke open a room to find the three dead and frothing from their mouths.

Police suspect poisoning or suffocation from excess carbon monoxide in the room, but cannot be sure till the post-mortem report comes in.

The bodies have been sent to Patna Medical College and Hospital.

While Suresh, a resident of the Ashok Nagar area, was 35, the other two were in their 50s. Sao and Paswan used to live near the Mithapur bus stand.

An officer at Jakkanpur police station said: “The factory manufactures medicines of the Baidyanath company. The three worked on the night shift from 9pm. Kamlendra Paswan, a relative of Ramesh and an employee of the company, came to the factory this morning to find the room locked. He called the guard posted at the main gate and both of them broke down the door to find the three dead.”

He added: “There are two possibilities in the case — poisoning or suffocation from carbon monoxide. A fire was lit in the room with dung cakes — maybe they had fallen asleep in the locked room without putting off the fire and suffocated in their sleep. We have kept all options open.”

A relative of Suresh said there was nothing wrong with him when he left home for work around 7pm. He pleaded for a thorough investigation.