The parents of 13-year-old missing girl Navruna Chakravarty expressed their dismay over a report published in a daily on Friday, stating that the CBI had taken up the probe into the case.
Navruna’s father Atulya Chakravarty said: “I have not received any information either from the investigating agency or the state government till now. But I came to know through the newspaper that the CBI probe, which the family had been demanding for long, had started.”
Chakravarty said he and his wife Maitri, launched an indefinite fast last week to press for their demand for a CBI probe. “I can’t say anything right now as there is no official confirmation about the CBI inquiry,” he told The Telegraph over phone from Muzaffarpur.
The principal secretary of home department, Amir Subhani, said the state government had not yet received any communication from the Centre in this regard. CBI’s inspector-general (Patna zone) Amrendra Kumar Singh was also unaware of any directive from the Union ministry of home affairs or the headquarters of the organisation.
A senior officer posted at the Patna branch of the premier investigating agency said the state government’s second proposal for a CBI inquiry into the case was sent on January 6.
“The Bihar government sent the proposal to the Centre for the second time on the request of the victim’s parents. Earlier, the agency had turned down the request for the same,” Subhani said.
The state government first decided to hand over the probe to the CBI on September 18, 2013. Navruna, then a student of Class VII, went missing from her house in Muzaffarpur on September 18, 2012.