Cuttack, Jan.15: The Odisha Civil Service (Preliminary) Examination, 2011, will be held on January 19. Orissa High Court today refused to pass a stay order on conducting the examination.
The court, however, specified that 247 of the 494 posts coming under the Odisha Civil Service (OCS) category I and II, for which examination has been scheduled, should be unreserved for general category candidates.
The Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC) had notified to conduct the OCS (Preliminary) Examination 2011 on January 19. Around 76,000 candidates are expected to appear for the examination.
The court was hearing a petition seeking an interim stay order while challenging the advertisement issued by the OPSC for the OCS examination. The advertisement, issued for recruitment to 494 posts, was challenged on the ground that it had left only 171 of 494 posts unreserved.
Mukesh Chandra Ghosh, an applicant, had moved high court after the State Administrative Tribunal refused to pass an interim stay order on conducting the OCS (Preliminary) Examination, 2011, on his petition seeking quashing of the advertisement.
Acting on his petition, the tribunal, in an interim order on January 8, had said selection process may continue, but no appointment should be made beyond 50 per cent of the posts so far as reserved candidates are concerned.
The bench of Justice M. M. Das and justice Raghuvir Dash endorsed the SAT order while issuing specific direction to the state government to keep 247 of the 494 posts unreserved for general category candidates and accordingly directed the OPSC to select 2,964 (12 times of 247) general category candidates from the OCS (Preliminary) Examination -2011 for the OCS (Main) Examination 2012, said petitioner counsel Ashok Mohapatra.