TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
CIMA Gallary

Awareness drive on burn injuries

Members of Colleague take part in the awareness programme in Dhubri on Friday. Telegraph picture

Dhubri, Jan 10: Colleague, a social organisation of Dhubri town, in collaboration with Burn Care Foundation of Guwahati, spread awareness among the people about the steps to be taken to protect and prevent burn injuries, at Dhubri SP HS School auditorium today.

Colleague’s secretary Madhab Chandra Paul, while addressing the awareness programme, said many patients have died from lamp and stove bursts because whoever was tending to them did not know how to handle burn victims.

“More than 50 women had died and over 100 injured in incidents of kerosene lamp and stove burst. This opened our eyes and our members decided to organise the awareness drives in collaboration with experts,” Paul said.

Social workers of various clubs and organisations who attended the programmes said because of lack of facilities or a separate burn unit in Dhubri civil hospital, burn patients have to be shifted to either Guwahati or Cooch Behar and the condition of serious patients deteriorates while shifting.

“This awareness programme will at least give an opportunity to treat the patients with first-aid and help save lives,” Manas Paul, a teacher, said.

Dr B.P. Sarma, Dr Nareswar Sarma and Dr Arunima Goswami spoke at length on the preventive and first-aid measures for burn patients and termed the kerosene pump-stove a “kitchen bomb” and stressed on applying water on the burnt portion.