A revolver of Ratanlal Nahata that was reportedly taken away from 9A Short Street during an alleged eviction raid on September 15 has been recovered from the home of the man who police said had led the attack.
Mohammad Osman, in whose Kamarhati home the Webley and Scott was found on Monday, had allegedly led the group that barged into the property in an attempt to occupy it. They had allegedly assaulted Nahata and other occupants when they tried to resist. Before leaving, they hung a banner with the name of the Mumbai-based company Heartline Estate written on it on the premises.
“We took Mohammad Osman and Manzar Hossain, who too was involved in the attack, into custody on December 27. By the time we came to know about their involvement, they had been arrested by Jagaddal police in connection with a dacoity bid. We have got their custody till January 7,” said joint commissioner (crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh.
“A cartridge was found in the revolver though Nahata had not mentioned it in his complaint. A SIM card and a broken cellphone, which went missing after the September attack, have also been recovered from Osman’s house,” said an officer.
The revolver, whose licence was last renewed in 2011, is one of the three guns Nahata has. The other two were allegedly used by Mamta Agarwal, who used to run a playschool at 9A Short Street, and her guards to resist an alleged trespass on November 11.
Two bouncers died in the attack. Mamta and two guards are behind bars.