TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Market stir against shootings

Shocked and scared after the gun attacks on a fellow businessman and a truck driver on Monday night, Jamshedpur traders have decided to shut down Golmuri market from dawn to dusk on Friday to mount pressure on the police, who have so far failed to arrest anyone in the cases.

Members of Golmuri Bazaar Vyapari Samiti met superintendent of police (city) Kartik S. on Thursday and handed him a memorandum, seeking immediate arrest of those who tried to kill Amit Agrawal and Satpal Singh.

The traders also took out a torchlight procession in Golmuri. They were joined by around 10 people from the Sikh community from Vidhapatinagar in Sidhgora, where truck driver Singh lives.

Manoj Khetri, who led the traders’ delegation, said that after the procession, they went to the office of senior superintendent of police (SSP) Amol V. Homkar.

But as Homkar was not present at the office, the delegation met superintendent of police (city) Kartik S.

“More than 48 hours have passed since Amit Agrawal was shot at by two bike-borne criminals. But forget cracking the case, police have not yet been able to make any arrest. The deteriorating law and order situation and the police inaction have sparked fears in the minds of traders and businessmen, who are being repeatedly targeted by criminals for the past couple of years,” Khetri said.

He added that they also informed the city SP that as police had failed to track down the men who first fired at Agrawal in Golmuri and then at Singh in Burmamines, they were left with no other option, but to resort to agitation.

Kartik S. is believed to have assured the delegation that police had already identified the shooter, who would be arrested soon.

The SSP agreed.

“We have identified the shooter, who fired at both the trader in Tinplate and the truck driver at Burmamines in the night of December 23. It is just a matter of time before the culprits are arrested,” Homkar told The Telegraph.

According to another police officer leading the investigations, the two bike-borne assailants are in mid-twenties. “The pillion-rider had fired at both victims. But he appears to be an amateur. We are unable to catch hold of them as they are constantly changing their hideouts,” he said.

The bikers had snatched Rs 1,300 from 32-year-old Agrawal before shooting him. About half an hour later, the same gang shot at and injured Singh (45) near Tube Company gate in Burmamines. Both were rushed to Tata Main Hospital.

According to sources, Singh, who sustained bullet injuries in his armpit, was released the next day.

Agrawal, who took four bullets, was discharged on Thursday.

How safe do you feel in your city?


 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Safety star in NaMo rally
  • Funds promise for pond
  • XLRI platform for social ideas
  • DIG steps down from cricket post
  • Terrace practice says it all
  • Parties ride train for poll gain
  • Goods worth lakhs looted
  • Online bid to woo youths
  • Market stir against shootings
  • Reformed rebels get insurance
  • Miracle of vision after death
  • Bhagat gets new panel
  • Train waiting lists get longer
  • At 38, Jhano lets her arrows do the talking
  • Hoardings give hard time to cops
  • Rough ride for city hoteliers
  • Protest against Sardar statue
  • Free lunch for poor on Boxing Day
  • Focus on coal hub growth