TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Short Street cop denied bail

Suspended sub-inspector Noor Ali, arrested for being part of the conspiracy to conduct an eviction raid on 9A Short Street, was on Thursday remanded in judicial custody till January 9.

“He (Noor) may tamper with evidence if granted bail. Besides, police need to interrogate him further,” police lawyer Krishna Chandra Das said in his submission while opposing Ali’s bail plea.

Earlier, Das submitted that Ali had taken Rs 30 lakh from those who had masterminded the eviction raid that led to the death of two bouncers on November 11. The police, however, have failed to recover any cash from Ali after interrogating him for 10 days in police custody.

Ali, who was posted at Shakespeare Sarani police station when he was suspended for his alleged links with Short Street conspirators, had also been tasked with probing another alleged eviction raid on 9A on September 15.

Noor’s lawyer submitted that his client was innocent and could be granted bail as there was no chance of his absconding. Chief metropolitan magistrate Biswarup Seth rejected the bail plea.

Lawyer Samir Riaz, who was also arrested on the same charges and produced in the court along with Ali, was remanded in judicial custody for the same tenure.

Jailer assault, 2 held

Two persons were arrested on Thursday for allegedly assaulting Sandip Roy, the jailer of Howrah Central jail.

Roy got suspicious after he saw a man near the jail gate with a sentry cap on. The man claimed to be a sentry. Later it was found that the man, Biplob Ray, is a relative of jail sentry Partho Koley. Both were allegedly drunk and beat up the jailer.

While Ray was released on Thursday on a personal bond, Koley was remanded in judicial custody.

Traffic disrupted

Traffic on Grand Trunk Road in Hooghly was disrupted for over an hour on Thursday after workers of Gondolpara Jute Mill, which got shut in September, staged a roadblock at the Chandernagore Jyoti crossing at 11am.

The workers demanded that the mill be reopened. The blockade was lifted only after police intervened and pacified the protesters.