| Assam parliamentary secretary for home Atuwa Munda at Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh on Thursday. Telegraph picture |
Jorhat, Dec. 19: Dispur has decided to send two persons, injured in Tuesday’s bomb blast in Dibrugarh, to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi.
The government also deployed a platoon of police commandos to the blast-hit district to assist in counter-insurgency operations while a 12-hour district bandh, called by six organisations from 5am, passed off peacefully today.
Assam parliamentary secretary for home Atuwa Munda, who was sent to Dibrugarh yesterday by chief minister Tarun Gogoi to take stock of the situation, told The Telegraph today that the government had decided to send the two injured to AIIMS according to doctors’ advice.
This morning, Munda visited the house of 14-year-old Purnima Rajak, a Class X student who had died in the blast. He assured her family a compensation of Rs 3 lakh, according to government rules.
Munda, a legislator from Tingkhong in Dibrugarh district, also visited Assam Medical College and Hospital and the private hospital where the 18 (15 of them in AMCH) injured are undergoing treatment.
He said the district administration had been asked to arrange transportation for Rashmi Roy, 23, and Kamal Gupta, 43, both residents of Dibrugarh town, to AIIMS.
Gupta, who is in the ICU of the AMCH, has sustained serious injuries on his head and right eye. He had also received injuries in his liver and private organs in the 2005 Dibrugarh blast and is yet to completely recover from it.
Rashmi, who is also undergoing treatment at AMCH, has also suffered serious injuries in an eye and might lose vision.
“We want to provide them advanced treatment at AIIMS as, according to the doctors, there is a bleak possibility that this might prevent complete loss of vision,” Munda said.
The government will contact AIIMS and after consulting Roy and Gupta’s family members, will also arrange for transportation for the patients and one attendant each within a day or two, he added.
Ankit Jalan, who was undergoing treatment in a private hospital, was released today, he added.
Munda said all the injured would be paid compensation on the basis of their medical reports according to government rules. He said the Dibrugarh unit of the Congress would extend financial help to arrange the shradh (religious ceremony) of the deceased.
Police have picked up one Arunabh Chetia of number 2 Dhamangaon in Tingkhong block in Dibrugarh district for his alleged involvement with Ulfa (I).
Munda said the government would intensify operations against Ulfa (I), which “wants to derail the peace process with the Arabinda Rajkhowa-led Ulfa, in the Upper Assam districts”.
Ulfa (I), which had yesterday denied involvement in the blast, today challenged Munda’s claim that it was behind the blast. In a statement emailed to The Telegraph, a member of the group’s publicity wing, Joy Asom, alleged that it was “a planned attack by the police to shift public attention from the criticism they were facing following the killing of four persons (sic) in Chirang district in reported encounters”.
The bandh called in Dibrugarh to protest the incident passed off peacefully today, barring a few sporadic incidents where stones were thrown at trucks and an ASTC bus at Banipur along National Highway 37. All business establishments and educational institutes remained closed, except a few where exams were on, while offices registered thin attendance. Public and private vehicles remained off the roads.