TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Cop remand renewed for Short St cop

Arrested sub-inspector Noor Ali had taken Rs 30 lakh to sit idle during the alleged eviction raid on 9A Short Street on November 11, a police lawyer submitted in Bankshall court on Thursday.

The police remand of Ali, who was posted at Shakespeare Sarani police station and arrested last Friday, has been extended till December 26.

“Ali was in constant touch with one of the conspirators before and after the November 11 raid. Police have come to know that he was paid Rs 30 lakh for not acting against the conspirators,” the lawyer, Krishna Chandra Das, submitted.

“The police officer, who had probed an attack on the same premises in September, took two watches and a laptop as bribe from the conspirators who wanted to get the premises vacated.”

Two bouncers, who were part of the raid team, were gunned down at 9A on November 11. Mamta Agarwal, who ran a playschool on the premises, and two guards she had hired are behind bars in connection with the shooting.

“Realtor Parag Majmudar had paid Rs 1.25 crore to real estate agent Pinakesh Dutta to get 9A Short Street vacated. Both are in custody. It was Dutta who paid Samir Riyaz, a lawyer arrested in connection with the eviction raid. Ali met Riyaz in front of a mall in south Calcutta and received his share,” Das submitted in the court.

The lawyer, however, admitted that sleuths have failed to recover any money and other valuables Ali had taken from the conspirators.

Detective department officers who interrogated Ali for the past four days seized his two cell phones which were used to communicate with Riyaz, who was allegedly present at the spot during the November 11 raid.

“The call details of the two phones showed Ali had talked to Riyaz over 100 times the day before the attack, on the day of the attack and the next day. His involvement (in the case) is clear and he is required for further interrogation,” Das submitted while opposing the bail plea of the accused and seeking an extension of his police remand by 10 days.

Ashoke Bakshi, a lawyer defending Ali, submitted that he was not at the spot during the raid. “My client’s conversation with an accused proves nothing. He would not run away if granted bail.” Chief metropolitan magistrate Biswarup Seth rejected the defence plea and remanded Ali in police custody till December 26.

Lalbazar sources said Ali was a hard nut to crack. “He gave us a statement admitting that he took bribe from the conspirators. But he is reluctant to give a confessional statement before the magistrate. A statement to us will have little value during trial,” said an officer of the detective department.