TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Blast suspect hugs mother

Ranchi, Dec. 18: Alleged Indian Mujahideen operative and Sithio resident Imtiyaz Ahmed Ansari, caught red-handed with explosives related to Patna serial blasts on October 27, asked his parents to forgive him when he was brought to his village for an hour by a four-member NIA team this morning.

Sources from the village on Ranchi fringes told The Telegraph that Imitiyaz, in custody since the blasts, broke down when he met his parents at home after nearly two months.

Mujhe maaf kar dein. Maine bahut badi galti ki. Mein aap logon ke kisi kaam na aa saka. Mere karan aap logon ki badnami hui. (Forgive me. I have committed a huge mistake. I couldn’t come of any use. You got infamy due to me),” a villager close to Imtiyaz’s family quoted the youth. as sobbing.

The villager said his elderly parents Mohammed Kamaluddin (73) and Jalima Khatoon (68) became emotional.

Maine tumse aisi ummeed nahi ki thi. Ab Allah hi tumhe maaf karega. (I have never expected such behaviour from you. Now only Allah will forgive you),” the man quoted his father as saying.

Mother Khatoon, tears streaming down her face, seemed to ask permission from the NIA team to hug her son and embraced Imtiyaz for a long time. She did not say a word, the villager who did not want to be named, added.

The four-member NIA team that took Imtiyaz to Sithio comprised additional superintendent of police Vishal Garg, deputy superintendent of police Jalaj Srivastava and two inspectors B.B. Pathak and S.S. Chouhan.

A Dhurwa policeman said the NIA team stayed at Sithio from 9.15am to 10.15am. Imtiyaz showed the NIA the place where he received “training” and some papers.

Dhurwa police station OC Birendra Rajvanshi, with the NIA team, confirmed the meeting. “I saw them becoming emotional but was standing too far to be able to hear the actual conversation,” he said.

No other relative turned up with parents “for fear of defamation”, the villager said.

When contacted by The Telegraph, Imtiyaz’s elder brother Akhtar Ansari reflected extreme caution. Choosing his words carefully, he said he was not home when his sibling came home and could therefore reveal nothing. “I was not there, I don’t know what happened,” he kept saying.

Akhtar, at Dhurwa police station to “assist in inquiries”, stayed at the thana till the NIA team left the police station around 1.30pm.

Imtiyaz, last seen bundled inside the NIA vehicle around 10.30am, was not noticed at the police station. Police were tight-lipped about Imtiyaz’s whereabouts. NIA officers kept away from mediapersons.