London: There was a twist on the penultimate day of Anthony Hamilton’s damages lawsuit against Paul Di Resta when the father of 2008 world champion Lewis made a dramatic return to the witness stand after “finding” a box he had reported missing in evidence two weeks ago containing controversial BlackBerry devices.
Hamilton, who has been repeatedly accused of falsifying evidence by backdating emails and draft notes on his iPad and BlackBerry, is suing Di Resta for wrongful termination of contract and loss of earnings after being sacked by the Scot in 2012.
In his defence, Di Resta alleges that Hamilton misled him over a multimillion-pound sponsorship deal with energy drinks company Go Fast. The trial was adjourned last Wednesday pending final submissions this week. However, the discovery of the controversial missing box, and also of a USB stick which Anthony said he had found in the loft of his garage two weekends ago, necessitated a return to the stand for another round of cross-examination.
Anthony told the court in his initial evidence that a box containing about eight BlackBerry devices, which would have been “crucial” to the trial according to Di Resta’s legal team, had gone missing during a house move this year.
He said he did not report its loss to the police or to his insurance company as he could “not guarantee whether it had been stolen or thrown away”.