Dec. 15: The officials of the subdivisonal administartion of Malbazar today said a meeting to table a no-confidence motion by the councillors in the Opposition against the ruling Left would be convened next week after the chairman of the board resigned.
Supratim Sarkar, the chairman of the Left Front-run board, stepped down on Friday, four days after Trinamul and Congress councillors expressed no confidence.
The Left had been running the Malbazar civic body since 2009 after it secured majority in the civic polls.
There are 15 wards in Malbazar of which, the Left had won eight, Trinamul three and the Congress four.
However, a seat won by the Left became vacant when the councillor of ward 15 left because he got a job.
A bypoll was held on November 22 and Trinamul won the seat.
“The win reduced the number of Left councillors to seven with eight councillors in the Opposition,” said a political observer.
“On November 25, when the bypoll results was announced, two Congress councillors joined Trinamul,” he said.
“We have received the resignation of the chairman. Sanjay Prasad, the vice-chairman has been asked to function on an interim basis. Also, a letter of no-confidence expressed by councillors in the Opposition has reached us. The meeting, where the no-confidence motion can be tabled, would be held next week,” said Jyotirmoy Tanti, the subdivisional officer of Malbazar.