TT Epaper
The Telegraph
TT Photogallery
 
CIMA Gallary

McCullum may give up ’keeping

Wellington: Captain Brendon McCullum is unlikely to pull on the wicketkeeper’s gloves again for New Zealand, coach Mike Hesson said on Saturday.

The 32-year-old is battling a long-term back injury and has already given up the gruelling role in Test matches. Bradley-John Watling is now performing that duty for New Zealand.

McCullum was still performing the role last year in limited overs matches and filled in during the second Test in England in May when Watling was injured. He was also the wicketkeeper in a one-day match on the recent tour of Bangladesh.

However, specialist Luke Ronchi is being used more frequently in limited overs matches, while batsman Tom Latham, who has appeared for New Zealand in Twenty20 and one-day matches, can also keep wickets if needed.

“He’s unlikely to be used as a keeper. I think he’s too valuable a player for us to keep using him as a keeper,” Hesson said.

New Zealand have a five-match ODI series and two Twenty20 matches against the West Indies, following next week’s third and final Test in Hamilton. (Reuters)