TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
CIMA Gallary

Assam colleges asked to send list of new subjects

Jorhat, Dec. 12: Dispur has asked all government and provincialised colleges of the state to send proposals regarding introduction of two new relevant subjects in the degree course from the next academic session, beginning August 2014.

There are five government and 189 provincialised colleges in the state.

The director of higher education, Phanindra Jidung, in a letter issued to all colleges on Tuesday, asked them to inform his office about the two new subjects for graduation course by December 16.

The letter states that the government has decided to provide six sanctioned posts of teachers (three for each subject) for the two new subjects in each college.

It says the decision to introduce the subjects had been taken in adherence to the announcement made by chief minister Tarun Gogoi in his last budget speech.

Gogoi had said new subjects like information technology, bio-technology, nano-technology and performing arts, among others, should be introduced in all existing colleges and universities, that education should be attuned to the changing times to make the system dynamic, thereby creating new employment opportunities for the youths.

“To achieve this, all colleges and universities should incorporate new subjects into the curriculum. Learning is a continuous process and there is no end to it. The quest for knowledge is necessary to widen the horizon and general outlook towards life,” Gogoi had said.

The two new subjects will be elective subjects in the degree course, a college principal said.

Jidung said in the directive that his office (DHE) required detailed information from all colleges in order to submit the proposals for creation of posts of teachers to the education department.

The letter asks the colleges to specify the qualifications required for teachers for the two new subjects.

A format prepared by the DHE office, seeking information on different aspects of the college, was sent with the letter. It is to be filled up by the principal and sent along with the proposal for new subjects.

The format seeks information on the number of streams available in the college, number of students (girls and boys separately), number of teachers against sanctioned posts in the different streams, date of establishment of the college and address, among others.

Last week, Jidung had asked provincialised colleges to deposit 70 per cent of the tuition fees collected from students from April 2007 to March 2013, since provincialisation, with his office by bank draft in the name of DHE. The colleges could use the remaining 30 per cent for development, including contingency and maintenance of assets.

Prior to provincialisation of colleges in Assam in 2007, the colleges, then known as deficit (grants-in-aid), used 70 per cent of the tuition fees collected from the students for paying salaries while the government paid the lion’s share. After provincialisation, the government pays the entire salary of college employees.