TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
CIMA Gallary

SSB jawans’ bodies found

Bongaigaon, Dec. 12: Police today recovered bodies of two SSB jawans in Assam’s Chirang district. The duo were abducted on December 6.

The police said the bullet-riddled bodies of the two jawans were recovered from a densely-forested area at Kahitama under Bijni police station in Chirang district around 11.30am.

“On receiving information, a police team rushed to the spot and recovered the bodies,” a police source said. The bodies have been sent for post-mortem. The site is nearly 280km from Guwahati.

He added that skeletal remains of two other persons, who are yet to be identified, were also recovered from the same spot.

The superintendent of police, Chirang, Ranjan Bhuyan, said the two bodies had been identified as those of SSP jawans Nakul Chandra Medhi and Anil Kumar Yadav. They were jawans of the SSB’s civil wing.

Bhuyan said they had found enough clues about the involvement of the Songbijit faction of the NDFB in the abduction and killing of the two SSB personnel.

The slain jawans were abducted from Labdangguri area on the border of Chirang and Baksa districts by suspected members of the NDFB faction.

A missing person’s report had been lodged with Panbari police outpost in this connection.

The police suspect that the duo may have come face-to-face with the NDFB (Songbijit) militants who abducted them and subsequently executed them. The jawans were unarmed. A senior leader of the NDFB faction, B. Bidai, is believed to have ordered their execution, the source said.

A massive operation has been launched by security forces in Chirang district and its adjoining areas to apprehend the militants involved in this incident, he said.

This is not the first instance of NDFB militants killing SSB personnel. In 2006, the NDFB rebels abducted and later killed five SSB jawans in the Bhairavkunda area on the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border.

Probe ordered

Gauhati High Court today ordered an inquiry into the alleged death of an NDFB (Progressive) member, Dwitun Musahary, in police firing in Kokrajhar district on April 25, 2005.

The victim’s father, Lakhan Musahary, had filed a petition in the high court seeking an inquiry and compensation for the death of his son.

The petitioner’s advocate, Bijon Mahajan, said Justice Hrishikesh Roy had ordered the district judge, Kokrajhar, to conduct an inquiry into the circumstances leading to Dwitun’s death and submit a report to the high court within six months.

Dwitun had allegedly died in police firing when he, along with some other NDFB (P) members, were enforcing a bandh at Sapatgram Bazar in Kokrajhar district.


 More stories in Northeast

  • NPF mulls three-state LS venture
  • Highway bandh to affect supplies
  • Miner killed
  • BSNL launches new technology
  • Looted arms recovered
  • Gaikhangam fumes at empty seats at event
  • India no longer in 1962 syndrome: IAF chief
  • Assam colleges asked to send list of new subjects
  • Cloud on eggs in midday meal
  • Wanted: Staff with rural knowhow
  • Manipur move into semi-final
  • Citizens blank UKB in qualifier
  • Student killer to be in jail till death
  • Dibrugarh Railway in last eight
  • Tribute to warrior
  • Forces: 'Killer' and victim in Chirang
  • SSB jawans' bodies found
  • State event turns poll rally
  • Tea labourers cease work over abduction
  • Maharana triumph