TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Murder motive eludes cops

Police are yet to identify the motive behind the murder of Shankar Prasad Roy, whose body was found entombed in an enclosure for storing cooking gas cylinders in the kitchen of his Patuli home.

The 55-year-old’s body was handed over to his wife and daughter on Wednesday. Police said Roy’s wife Krishna and daughter Mekhla, 24 — he had been separated from both for the past four years — came to Patuli police station to claim the body.

“We have handed over the body to his wife Krishna Roy and daughter Mekhla, 24, after post-mortem,” said a senior officer of Patuli police station.

Krishna, a homemaker, and Mekhla, who live in Baghajatin Pally, have told the police that they had last contacted Shankar in 2009 and were clueless about the reason for the murder, said police sources.

The body of Roy, who used to live alone on the first floor of his two-storeyed house at 77 Kendua Main Road off the EM Bypass, was found wrapped in a mosquito net in the enclosure under the kitchen slab that was sealed with bricks and cement.

Stench from the house prompted neighbours to alert the police, who broke through the wall and recovered the body.

The body was identified by neighbours on Tuesday as no family member was around.

The post-mortem conducted on Wednesday failed to identify the cause of death.

“The body is highly decomposed and it is not possible to detect any mark of external injury. More time is needed to ascertain if he suffered bone injuries. His viscera have been preserved for further tests. If need be, a DNA test will be conducted. Right now we are clueless about the motive,” said a senior officer of the homicide department of Calcutta police.

Officers said since no one from the family could say whether anything was missing, it is impossible to know if there was a theft. “The only object we know missing is Roy’s cell phone,” said an officer.

Police sources said call records of the phone suggest it was last used five days ago — around the time Roy was killed. Officers claimed that call records could not throw any light on the murder.

Officers at Patuli police station said victim’s sister Bipasha Sen and nephew Chiranjeet, who had apparently left Roy’s house after Kali Puja following a tiff, could not be found on Wednesday.

“No one could tell us where Sen and Chiranjeet live now.... It’s surprising that they did not come forward even after Roy’s death was widely reported.