TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

1 dead in New Town crash

A Sector V employee allegedly driving home drunk knocked down two two-wheeler riders, killing one and seriously injuring another, in New Town on Sunday afternoon.

Residents beat up Saibal Chakrabarty after the 52-year-old techie allegedly tried to give the impression that the duo had been hit by another vehicle. Officers of New Town police station rescued and later arrested him.

The man who died has been identified as Ahmed Rehman Khan, 30, a land broker and construction material supplier from Rajarhat. The one who was injured was Milan Mitra, 24, a resident of Garia. He has been admitted to Bidhananagar Subdivisional Hospital with serious head injuries and a fractured arm.

Charabarty, a resident of DL block in Salt Lake, was driving his Honda City down New Town Road around 3.30pm when he hit the two.

“He was driving very fast and zigzagging across the road,” said an officer of New Town police station. Near Jatragachi, the Honda City hit Rehman’s bike. “The youth was thrown several feet off the two-wheeler into the service road beside the artery,” said a resident who saw the accident.

According to witnesses, Chakrabarty tried to swerve the car right after the accident and hit Mitra, who was riding a scooty. Mitra fell on the road

The car, with its bonnet dented and the alignment of its front wheels askew after the collisions, screeched to a halt.

Chakrabarty got out and allegedly tried to drag Khan, who might have already died, to the road from the service lane to make it appear that some other vehicle had hit the youth, said a witness.

“When we ran to the spot within minutes of the accident, the man (Chakrabarty) initially tried to convince us that some other vehicle had hit his car and the two-wheelers. He claimed that he was trying to help Khan. But we had seen the Honda City hit both youths. When we confronted him, he tried his best to fool us, which made us angry,” said Bappa Mondal, a witness.

Another witness said Chakrabarty was reeking of alcohol and his feet were unsteady. The group that had assembled began to beat him up when he allegedly confessed to the crime.

Officers from New Town police station arrived at the spot and arrested Chakrabarty. “The accused was driving drunk. He has undergone a medical test, which will reveal the volume of alcohol in his blood,” said an officer of the police station.

The injured were taken to Bidhannagar Subdivisional Hospital, where Khan was declared dead.

“We have arrested Saibal Chakrabarty and seized his vehicle,” said Santosh Nimbalkar, deputy commissioner of police, Bidhannagar.