TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
CIMA Gallary

Freak fire mishap injures students

Some Magadh Mahila College students had a miraculous escape on Wednesday afternoon when a chopped branch of a tree fell on a high-tension wire, causing sparks, that left some with minor burns.

Bharti Bagchi, the co-ordinator of the commerce department, said: “We do not know why the state government is constructing a convention hall near the college and encouraging deforestation. Instead, it should have given the space to us. We have asked the government many times to give us the plot but it did not. We could have developed the land and planted trees which would have given it a better look.”

Two uninterruptible power supply (UPSs) devices in the BCA department conked out owing to the spark.

Meera Verma, the co-ordinator of BBA department, said: “There is a power-cut in the college. The generator will provide electricity but not water. The girls were having golgappas outside the college when the mishap occurred. It not only resulted in a short-circuit in the corridor but the wire fell on the girls outside charring their hair.”

Renu Ranjan, the head of the sociology department, said, “The incident occurred around 3.30pm. If it had occurred around 4pm, many more could have been hurt since classes get over at 4.”