TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

More time sought for probe

Dhemaji, Dec. 3: The magistrate probing the alleged murder of a woman at Boginadi in the district, today sought more time from the district administration to submit his inquiry report.

There has been an uproar in the district over the last week’s incident following reports that the woman was allegedly raped and then killed, an angle those monitoring the probe have ruled out till now.

The magistrate, Dhrubajyoti Hazarika, told The Telegraph over phone that he had sought four more days from the district administration to submit his report as the autorickshaw, which ferried the woman on November 22, had not yet been found and the culprits were yet to be apprehended.

The seven-day deadline for submitting the report ended today. Sources said Hazarika, who is also the deputy-inspector of schools, has not been able to give adequate time.

Though no timeframe has been set for the parallel police probe under way, Boginadi police have sought three more days to submit their report.

Lakhimpur district police had yesterday arrested two persons.

The Boganadi anchalik committee of the All Tai Ahom Students’ Union had yesterday submitted a memorandum to chief minister Tarun Gogoi, flaying the delay on part of the government to solve the case.

In a public hearing held on Saturday, statements were taken from 85 autorickshaw drivers and the victim’s family members, including her mother and husband.

The next hearing will be held on Friday.

On November 27, state director-general of police J.N. Choudhury had told The Telegraph that the deceased was not raped but had died of blunt trauma at a hospital in Guwahati on November 24.

Medical examination had not found any seminal fluid in her body, he added.

Sources said a resident of the area where the woman was found, Uma Gogoi, had said in his statement on Saturday that he had seen two persons getting down from the auto and then getting in before it sped away.

Soon a few people noticed a woman lying on the road with injury marks on her head. They immediately called an 108 emergency ambulance service, which rushed her to Lakhimpur civil hospital.